Wednesday, December 2, 2009

555 Timers, Bent Projects, Vactrols and More.


Here's an example of using a timer IC in a bent project. This Butterfly has a couple of light sensors. I found that this bug re-acted to a circuit I had been building that was acting pissy with the wall wart I usually use. Too much amperage. Lately I have been using these timers to run an LED that is sandwiched with a photo-resistor in a sterile light environment. Also I have been using lots of 7 color changing LEDs. 7 colors are better than one.

The timing clock was easy to find. There was also a point right next to it that created some distortion effect. I was trying to give it a photo-active interface but settled on a 100k linear potentiometer that I busted out of it's casing so it can spin all the way around. This makes it sorta act like a switch and a potentiometer. This butterfly will probably stay in my collection because of it's weirdness and I'm working on a version for production.
Before I started introducing Vactrols and Timer IC's into my bent projects this was the most boring synth in the scrap heap. Now it's become the project that won't stop mutating.


No comments: